RFC: Article on implementing UFS journaling on desktop PCs

Unga unga888 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 04:06:48 UTC 2008

http://store.itsyourftp.com/~sonic2000gr/freebsd/gjournal-desktop/article.html

> It focuses on detailing an easy to follow,
> repeatable procedure, to
> install FreeBSD on a typical PC and enable
> journaling on /usr and
> possibly /var.
> I am using this same procedure on my systems.
>
> I welcome all feedback, please send me any comments,
> suggestions and
> corrections.

Hope following ideas may help you.

1. Article is too long. You have a note before the
introduction, then "introduction" and "Understanding
journaling in FreeBSD". I appreciate brevity. The
"introduction" and "Understanding journaling in
FreeBSD" would be suffice. and edit them for brevity.

The note before the introduction is good enough as an
introduction,

2. Ideally have a table of contents.

3. Ideally prerequisites as a separate section.

4. A new section on "How to estimate journal size"

5. Split "Setting up journaling" to sub sections:
	- Data and journal in the same partition
	- Data and journal in the multiple partitions/disks

6. A new section on how to extend the size of the
journal (if later find too small)

7. Further reading:
	- Journaling UFS with gjournal -
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2006-June/064043.html

	- Journaling file system -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journaling_file_system

	- UFS2 Journaling implementation detail -
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-April/173501.html

	- FreeBSD/ZFS - Last word in operating/file systems
-
http://2007.eurobsdcon.org/presentations/Pawel_Jakub_Dawidek/eurobsdcon07_zfs.pdf

Kind Regards
Unga