VMware-server-1.0.5 on Linux host && console on FreeBSD

Matthias Apitz matthias.apitz at oclc.org
Thu Apr 24 12:33:43 UTC 2008

Hello,

I've installed VMware-server-1.0.5 on some box running Linux (SuSE
Enterprise 8); this VMware-server brings a console which connects to
port 901 (default) and you can manage your virtual machines in the
server with some graphical tool; as usual the VMware-server is only
available for Windows and Linux, but I was hoping that the console is
just VNC and I could manage it with, for example, vncviewer from my
FreeBSD laptop -- no look, they use some other protocol;

the console on Linux is just some scripting which launches a GTK
application:

/usr/lib/vmware/lib/wrapper-gtk24.sh /usr/lib/vmware/lib /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware /usr/lib/vmware/libconf

and it could be that one could it make happy on FreeBSD too;
has someone tried this out? or is there some other way to get this
console running on BSD? thx in advance

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz