FreeBSD 7.0 jail and Samba 3

Gelsema, P (Patrick) gelsemap at superhero.nl
Thu Apr 24 02:29:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, April 23, 2008 18:16, Nejc Å koberne wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> This is nota n issue with samba it is a name resolve issue.
>
> Then why is Samba replying to NetBIOS broadcasts very nicely when I put
> it outside jail (with the same configuration)? As far as I understand
> Samba also provides resolving - NetBIOS resolving via its nmbd.
>
>> If you add in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts the following does
>> all work then
>>
>> ipadress	Machine-name
>>
>> where ipadress is the ipadres of the jailed samba server and
>> machine-name is the netbios name of the jailed server.
>>
>> If this works then you need to check your DNS server.
>
> Okay, let me clarify all this once again: I know that this will work for
> me.
> I also know that if I add a mapping "machine" -> "IP address" into my DNS
> it
> will work for me. I also know that if I turn on WINS support in smb.conf
> and
> then set up a WINS server on the Windows machine, it will work fine.
>
> But as you probably know, there is also a "third" way of resolving names
> IP addresses - it is called NetBIOS broadcasts - from Wikipedia:
>
> "In order to connect to a computer running TCP/IP via its NetBIOS name,
> the
> name must be resolved to a network address. Today this is usually an IP
> address
> (the NetBIOS name-IP address resolution is often done by either broadcasts
> or
> a WINS Server — NetBIOS Name Server)."
>
> So it says _either by broadcasts or a WINS Server_. I don't want to use
> WINS
> server (or DNS server) for this, but NetBIOS broadcasts. And these
> broadcasts
> work just fine when my Samba 3 server is not running in a FreeBSD jail. As
> soon
> as I put it into the jail, for some reason, Samba 3 stops responding to
> NetBIOS
> broadcasts.
>
> And this is what I would like to understand - why Samba 3 stops responding
> these broadcasts when it is running in a jail.

If Samba is running in a jail it is linked to a Alias IP. AFAIK broadcasts
are only processed and responded to by the primary IP address.

This might be why. Ask on -net if they would know about how to get the
alias ip responding to netbios broadcasts.

Why it works for me: simple, all my servers are using DNS. All my DHCP
clients get automatically added to DNS.

Also, if I am not mistaken, Windows Vista wants to move away from Netbios.
In WIndows XP there is even a setting to disable Netbios on TCP. I believe
Samba is catered for that. Ports are 445 on windows if I am not mistaken.

Cheers

Patrick