FreeBSD 7.0 jail and Samba 3

Gelsema, P (Patrick) gelsemap at superhero.nl
Tue Apr 22 10:36:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, April 22, 2008 17:33, Nejc ©koberne wrote:
> Hey Johan,
>
>> I think you will need to remove 127.0.0.1
>> Just use 192.168.1.2/24
>> There is no 127.0.0.1 on a jailed system
>
> I have done so - I still can't do "smbclient //machine" from another box
> the jailed Samba. If I put the Samba out of the jail (same version, same
> config)
> it works as it should. I have this in my rc.conf:

OK.. if it is running inside your jail it doesnt respond to WINS
broadcasts (request for NETBIOS Names.. oi, who is Machine on this
subnet???), if it is not running in your jail, it is.

So, what are your settings for master (local, domain and wins)?

can you do a ping to machine? Can it be resolved?
Can you connect smbclient //ipadres?
Do you see the smb client listening on the machines virtual ip?

in case the above work for you it is all about name resolution.
# man smbclient
Read the first paragraph of servicename on servername resolution.

Patrick