cannot move geli disk from 6.3-R to 6.1-R

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Tue Apr 22 01:12:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:33:07 +0600
Dmitry Sukhodoyev <raven428 at gmail.com> wrote:

> i try to attach geli provider, which i have used in 6.3-RELEASE to
> 6.1-RELEASE:
>
> # geli attach -k /root/da1.key /dev/da1
> MD5 hash mismatch for /dev/da1
>
> in 6.3-R it still attaches successfully, but in 6.1-R is not. system
> with 6.1-R is not my own, so i can't update it. how i can attach geli
> provider from my 6.3-R to this 6.1-R?

In the 7.0 source code there are two versions of the function that
computes that hash, so I guess that 6.3 is back-compatible with
6.1, but that a 6.3 geli-device can't be read  by 6.1.

If this is a removable drive that needs to inter-operate, I would
suggest that you dump the data, and create a new geli device under 6.1.