Filesystem full......

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Apr 21 17:24:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 06:08:39PM +0200, Leslie Jensen wrote:

> Bill Moran skrev:
> >
> >>During "make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC" I get
> >>
> >>/: write failed, filesystem is full
> >>install: /boot/kernel/wlan_tkip.ko.symbols: No space left on device
> >>*** Error code 71
> >>
> >>output of df -H gives
> >>
> >>Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> >>/dev/ad0s1a    260M    259M    -20M   108%    /
> >>devfs          1.0k    1.0k      0B   100%    /dev
> >>/dev/ad0s1g    127G     30G     87G    25%    /home
> >>/dev/ad0s1e    260M     26M    213M    11%    /tmp
> >>/dev/ad0s1f     26G    6.0G     18G    25%    /usr
> >>/dev/ad0s1d    260M    209M     30M    87%    /var
> >>/dev/ad4s1d    387G    119G    237G    33%    /backup
> >>linprocfs      4.1k    4.1k      0B   100%    /usr/compat/linux/proc
> >>
> >>It's a system I've had for a few years, and it has been upgreded a few
> >>times before.
> >>
> >>My question is can I get around this or have I made my / slice to small?
> >
> >Your / is too small for modern version of FreeBSD.
> >
> >However, you probably can get around this.  My / partition on a 7.X
> >system is only 160M, so there's probably some stuff you can clean out
> >to make room.  Do you have a /boot/kernel.old file that would free up
> >some space if removed?
> >

> Thank you :-) I removed kernel.old and it gave space to do what I wanted.
>
> A follow up question: Is there a utility like gparted for Linux, that
> can resize bsd slices?

Well, gparted will work with FreeBSD slices.   They just call them
primary partitions instead of slices because that is what Microsloth
calls them.

But, fdisk is what manupulated slices in FreeBSD.  It does it by
brute force - rewriting the slice table and not preserving what
was there before.   So, you would need to use dump/restore to
carry your stuff over.    But they you would have a clean slice or
set of slices with the latest filesystem type.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing:
In FreeBSD the slice is the primary division of the disk labeled 1..4.
and a partiton is a subdivision of a slice labeled a..h.

Microsloth and some others use the word partition to mean other things.

////jerry