FreeBSD installation on AMD64

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Wed Apr 16 17:01:09 UTC 2008

Sébastien Morand wrote:
> Hi,

> So before reinstalling everything, I'd like to know :
> Is it a reasonable choice (in terme of performance, reliability, and
> compatibility terms) to install i386 over amd64 arch?

For a desktop i386 is still the better choice and unless you have more than 3G
of RAM there are no downsides, but many advantages. E.g. acpi sleep states are
only implemented for i386. I'm running amd64 on my notebook and the price is
high. No suspend to ram or to disk (even though I have s4bios support), and
not even cpu stepping (at least not the clock speed stepping only idle calls
and they make /no/ difference at all).

All these things would work if I ran i386, but I want to be there when they
start working on amd64.