determining what's in the base system

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Apr 15 23:59:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 01:31:23AM +0200, Mel wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 April 2008 01:14:50 Chad Perrin wrote:
>
> > Assume you have a FreeBSD system installed that has been running for at
> > least a year, with a bunch of graphical desktop and productivity software
> > installed, and have both installed and uninstalled a lot of software over
> > that time.  Now imagine that you want to know whether a given utility was
> > something that came with the base system or was installed by some port or
> > package later on.  What's the easiest way to do that (preferably without
> > installing the FreeBSD base system on a computer and checking whether the
> > utility is present)?
>

> If you didn't change LOCALBASE/PREFIX during installation, anything
> below /usr/local belongs to ports. Only exception would be kernel modules
> that need to be loaded before /usr is mounted (like graphic card drivers).
>
> See hier(7).

I definitely should have thought of that.  Thanks for the wake-up call.

> Also, grep -v '^@' /var/db/pkg/*/+CONTENTS lists all files installed by ports.

That's more the sort of answer I was expecting, but seems less easily
employed than just using `which` to determine whether something's located
under /usr/local.

Baltasar Gracian: "A wise man gets more from his enemies than a fool from
his friends."