determining what's in the base system

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Apr 15 23:57:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 04:35:52PM -0700, Luke Dean wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Chad Perrin wrote:
>
> >I have two questions.  First:
> >
> >Assume you have a FreeBSD system installed that has been running for at
> >least a year, with a bunch of graphical desktop and productivity software
> >installed, and have both installed and uninstalled a lot of software over
> >that time.  Now imagine that you want to know whether a given utility was
> >something that came with the base system or was installed by some port or
> >package later on.  What's the easiest way to do that (preferably without
> >installing the FreeBSD base system on a computer and checking whether the
> >utility is present)?
> >
> >Second:
> >
> >Where can I get a list of all licenses on all software in the base
> >system?  I know there's at least the BSD License, the GPL, and the LGPL,
> >but I'm a little hazy on what else is in there.  I'm pretty sure there
> >isn't any proprietary closed source software in there, but I wouldn't bet
> >any substantial amount of money on it at this point, because I haven't
> >really checked into it.
>
> For the first question, I'd first look at where the utility is.  Base
> system utilities won't be in /usr/local.  Add-on packages and ports
> "should" be.
> The "pkg_info" utility and all of its switches and options could be useful
> too, if your ports database is correct.

Thanks.  Using what's in /usr/local should have occurred to me.

> For the second question, I've always assumed that /COPYRIGHT applied to
> everything in the base system.

I'm pretty sure GCC is in the base system (for instance), and it's GPL
software.  There's no mention of it in /COPYRIGHT at all.  Please correct
me if I'm mistaken somehow.

Patrick J. LoPresti: "Emacs has been replaced by a shell script which 1)
Generates a syslog message at level LOG_EMERG; 2) reduces the user's disk
quota by 100K; and 3) RUNS ED!!!!!!"