determining what's in the base system

Luke Dean LukeD at pobox.com
Tue Apr 15 23:36:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Chad Perrin wrote:

> I have two questions.  First:
>
> Assume you have a FreeBSD system installed that has been running for at
> least a year, with a bunch of graphical desktop and productivity software
> installed, and have both installed and uninstalled a lot of software over
> that time.  Now imagine that you want to know whether a given utility was
> something that came with the base system or was installed by some port or
> package later on.  What's the easiest way to do that (preferably without
> installing the FreeBSD base system on a computer and checking whether the
> utility is present)?
>
> Second:
>
> Where can I get a list of all licenses on all software in the base
> system?  I know there's at least the BSD License, the GPL, and the LGPL,
> but I'm a little hazy on what else is in there.  I'm pretty sure there
> isn't any proprietary closed source software in there, but I wouldn't bet
> any substantial amount of money on it at this point, because I haven't
> really checked into it.

For the first question, I'd first look at where the utility is.  Base
system utilities won't be in /usr/local.  Add-on packages and ports
"should" be.
The "pkg_info" utility and all of its switches and options could be useful
too, if your ports database is correct.

For the second question, I've always assumed that /COPYRIGHT applied to
everything in the base system.