Odd buildworld and installworld problems

Steven H. Baeighkley stevenb at frii.com
Tue Apr 15 23:06:43 UTC 2008

Greetings,

We have been attempting to upgrade several servers from 6.2 to 6.3. We
have been using a shared source tree on an nfs mount to both build and
install our systems. We run a mix of virtual and physical servers in our
environment. Our physical systems are all dual-xeon machines running an
SMP kernel and our virtual machines are all single processor systems
running single processor kernels. We have successfully upgraded 19
systems so far using source compiled on one of our virtual machines
(single processor) including 7 of our physical servers. So we built the
source and kernels on a shared nfs mount on one virtual machine, mounted
that share as /usr/src with a shared obj tree as well and successfully
installed both source and kernels on 19 machines, including 7 dual
processor physical servers. The problem comes now that installworld will
no longer complete on any new server. We have downloaded and recompiled
new source, created new obj trees and still run in to sporadic failures
with installworld on new virtual machines. I have tried compiling the
source on another virtual machine as well as on a physical server but I
am still having sporadic failures on installworld. it will fail giving a
no such file or directory error genenerally in bsnmpd.

So the question is, has anyone seen errors like this? Would compiling
source and kernels on an SMP physical server cause install problems on a
single processor virtual-machine? Vice-Versa?

thanks
Steve B

--
---
Steven H. Baeighkley - Systems Administrator