wlan driver for VIA USB card

knowtree at aloha.com knowtree at aloha.com
Mon Apr 14 22:17:02 UTC 2008

Peter Boosten <peter at boosten.org> wrote:

> knowtree at aloha.com wrote:
> > I am looking for a driver for the VIA VNT6656G6A40 54 MBps Wireless USB
> > Module to run on FreeBSD 7.0 i386. This is a daughterboard built around the
> > VIA 6656 chipset. Two VIA drivers are listed in /boot/defaults/loader.conf
> > but they are for different chip sets.
> >
> > http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/networking/wireless/vt6656/
> >
> > http://www.logicsupply.com/products/vnt6656g6a40
> >

> Gary,
>
> You can make one yourself if you have the Windows drivers. Have a look
> at ndisgen(8).

Thanks, I appreciate the effort. Call me a fool, but I am designing Open
Slate to work independently of Windows.

The lack of other positive replies suggests nobody has a native driver, so
on to the next question: VIA has Linux source available. Assuming the
license is tenable and the code is functional, how hard would it be to
convert it to FreeBSD format? Assume an experienced C programmer with zero
experience writing drivers. I'm thinking, grab the source for a similar
driver, one that works well, and divine how to match the backside with the
frontside.

There's still time to call me a fool.

Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project