start up scripts stopped working

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Mon Apr 14 17:20:02 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 07:18:52PM -0600, Eric wrote:

> tomasz dereszynski wrote:
> >Eric wrote:
> >>hello,
> >>
> >>does anyone know what I can do to fix the following problem?  Every
> >>time my FreeBSd 6.2 machine reboots, none of the scripts in the
> >>/usr/local/etc/rc.d directory launch the various programs i have
> >>defined in my rc.conf file. when i added
> >>
> >>rc_info=yes
> >>rc_debug=yes
> >>
> >>to rc.conf i see things getting evaluated, but nothing is launched.
> >>this forces someone to log in locally to the machine and start
> >>openssh so i can get to the box.
> >>
> >>does anyone know what could be causing this?
> >Hi Eric,
> >
> >can you copy your rc.conf file?
> >
> >would be easier to say something...
> >cheers
> >
> sure, here it is:
>
> defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
> hostname="someservername"
> ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.0.51  netmask 255.255.255.0"
>

> #sshd_program=/usr/local/sbin/sshd
> #sshd_enable="YES"
> # disable built in SSH and enable SSH_portable
> sshd_enable="NO"
> openssh_enable="YES"
>
> font8x8="swiss-8x8"
> font8x14="NO"
> font8x16="swiss-8x16"
>
> saslauthd_enable=YES
>
> postgrey_enable="YES"
>
> sendmail_enable="YES"
> sendmail_flags="-bd"
> sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
> sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
> sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
>
> clamav_freshclam_enable=YES
> clamav_clamd_enable=YES
>
> amavisd_enable=YES
>
> dovecot_enable=YES
>
> apache22_enable=YES
> samba_enable=YES
> smartd_enable="YES"
>
> mysql_enable="YES"
>
> vsftpd_enable="YES"
>
> denyhosts_enable="YES"
>
> mailgraph_enable="YES"
>
> ddclient_enable="YES"
>
> twdm2_enable="YES"
>
> kern_securelevel="1"
> kern_securelevel_enable="YES"

I spotted a couple of things with your rc.conf that could be causing
you trouble:

1) There are a lot of unquoted YES's for enabling services. I don't
know if that could screw thing's up but for form's sake, I'd try quoting
them and rebooting.

2) You seem to have set your security level quite high. I can't find
where they are documented in 6.3 (in 7.0 under security(7)) but it
could be worth a try commenting out the securelevel lines and
rebooting and then setting your security level through sysctl (I
think you can do that).

HTH.

--

 Frank