DHCP problem.Help please

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Mon Apr 14 07:02:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 14:43 +0800, Ruel Luchavez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope some one will me on my problem.
> My friends has and existing DHCP server and squid proxy server running both
> in freebsd.We purchased a new desktop PC, we gave it a permanent IP using
> the DHCP server and we edit the config file in "/usr/local/etc/dhcp.conf" we
> add this at the bottom
>
> host test {
>   hardware ethernet 00:1d:27:64:e1:af; [this is the physical address of new
> PC]
>   fixed address 192.168.1.16;
>   }
>
> But as we "ipconfig" the new PC the IP is still the same?
> Is there something i forgot to configure?
>
> PLEASE HELP here...thanks in adnvanced

So you used dhcp to obtain an ip prior to setting up a fixed address on
the dhcp server? If so you may have to clear your dhclient.leases file-
rename to .old (correct me if theres a better way to do this anyone).

When testing, use dhcpd -d - this will run the dhcp server in the
foreground so you can see any messages realtime which you can then post
here if need be. Also, send the entries in your log files.

Good luck.