Using FreeBSD's make under Linux

Michaël Le Barbier michael.le_barbier at laposte.net
Sun Apr 13 20:40:00 UTC 2008

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:20:17 +0200, Michaël Le Barbier <michael.le_barbier at laposte.net> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> a few years ago, I tried to use FreeBSD's make under GNU/Linux, and
>> thanks to `jpd' on c.u.b.f.misc, I managed to build FreeBSD 4.7's make
>> under some GNU/Linux systems. Having a couple makefiles using make's
>> features that were introduced after 4.7, I would like to build a more
>> up-to-date, make.
>>
>> Before I start, I am double checking nobody has done the job yet, and
>> nobody has it in the works. So, if you know anything about this, I
>> would be very happy you share the info with me!
>
> There's definitely interest in making FreeBSD make(1) buildable on
> Linux and Solaris systems.  Warner Losh recently committed some changes
> to bring us closer to this goal, and I'm on and off making changes to a
> personal project at http://hg.hellug.gr/bmake/gker/ but I'm afraid that
> the `pmake' port is all that is usable right now.

Hi Giorgos,

thanks to your reply, I remembered that BSD's make is known as bmake in
NetBSD's pkgsrc (I have formerly used pkgsrc on a Mac OS X system). See
what I found: one of the bmake's commiters is also maintaining an
autonomous auto-* version of it, and it seems close enough of FreeBSD's
make to work on my files!