Xorg broken with Intel 82915G/GV/GL, 82910GL

Jimmie James jimmiejaz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 19:37:07 UTC 2008

Within the past 4 days that I've noticed (didn't update ports for two
weeks) X keeps freezing and/or crashing, sometimes when switching to a
VT, sometimes when firefox crashes. Trying to restart it, results in the
console locking up, X taking up 100% WCPU, with the following in Xorg.0.log

(WW) intel(0): PRB0_CTL (0x0001f001) indicates ring buffer enabled
(WW) intel(0): PRB0_HEAD (0x5301c9dc) and PRB0_TAIL (0x0001ca08)
indicate ring buffer not flushed
(WW) intel(0): Existing errors found in hardware state.

Which requires a reboot to clear/get X to start up again.
http://pastebin.ca/983903 dmesg
http://pastebin.ca/983902 Xorg.0.log
http://pastebin.ca/983910 xorg.conf
http://pastebin.ca/983911 pciconf -vl

Also, my mouse scroll wheel stopped working (ps/2) with the update, from
the mailing list, saw that removing this file,
/usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server/files/patch-Xserver-hw-xfree86-os-support-bsd-bsd_mouse.c
would get it working again, which it did.  With the first crash, I
recompiled with that file and X is still crashing and locking up the
console.
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psm0
(EE) PS/2 Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "PS/2 Mouse"

Can anyone shed some light into this?

"Healthy, resilient people learn life skills from failure and frustration."
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.