Limiting apache's upload speed?

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sun Apr 13 12:36:59 UTC 2008

Patsy wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am running FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE (GENERIC), I am running Apache
> 2.2.6_2 and hosting a small website with a few relatively small
> (500kB-900kB) photographs. I am doing so from a home ADSL connection
> in the UK and so I am estimating my upload capacity at 500kb/s.
>
> When I have apache enabled and serving the web page it seems to
> disrupt my other network programs - on my main computer (running
> Debian etch) Wengophone stutters and my browser slows down noticeably.
> When apache is disabled these problems disappear.
>
> I do not wish to take my website down and so I was hoping somebody
> would be able to tell me if it is possible to throttle apache's upload
> speed. It seems that this would provide a good solution - people will
> need to wait a little longer to see my page, but a change of waiting 3
> seconds to waiting 6 seconds isn't terrible.
>
> My router does not appear to have the option to throttle individual
> hosts/ports. Any advice on the matter would be appreciated.
>
> Patsy

I run something similar here in Greece, but have not noticed any
performance problems just yet. You are probably getting a lot of hits!

What you need is an apache module designed specifically for speed /
bandwidth throttling: www/mod_cband

You may also wish to have a look at these instructions (linux specific,
but easy to adjust for FreeBSD):

http://howtoforge.com/mod_cband_apache2_bandwidth_quota_throttling

BTW, what is your ADSL speed? You mention upload capacity of 500kb/s,
and I suppose you mean kbits/sec, *not* kbytes/sec. Assuming it is
kbits, you may well be consuming all your upload bandwidth if for some
reason you get more than a few simultaneous connections...