Question About Ports Update Cycle

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Apr 12 05:55:01 UTC 2008

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> Is there some regular interval at which new ports are processed by the
> FreeBSD team?  I submitted a port (for a very minor utility) 3/20/2008
> but it is still not in the tree.  I'm not complaining in the slightest -
> the folks who do this work are volunteering their time, and I get/respect
> that.  I'm just curious if there is some window you have to hit to get
> stuff in.
>
> Just curious, not beefin',

There's no particular schedule for bringing in new ports -- it's all
just part of the same flow of updates, patches etc. etc.

If your submission is still languishing unattended after about 3 weeks,
then it has probably been overlooked, and it would not be amiss to send
a follow-up asking if there's a problem.  Most ports PRs are dealt with
considerably faster than that, although the initial import of a new port
does take longer than a routine update to an existing port.

One important general point is that any one sending in PRs should supply
a working e-mail address in what they send -- if a port maintainer needs
to ask a question or for some other form of feedback, and their e-mail to
the PR originator bounces, then that PR is simply not going to get
processed.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3