StartKde

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 13:53:16 UTC 2008

On Thursday 10 April 2008 16:51:03 Barry Walker wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this posting, but I am trying
> to determine what is causing my KDE problems.
>
> Here's what I get
>
> u85 50     ps -ef |grep kde
> bjwalker 11622 11076  0 17:45 pts/2    00:00:00 grep kde
>
> u85 51% startkde
> xset:  bad font path element (#104), possible causes are:
>     Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>     Directory missing fonts.dir
>     Incorrect font server address or syntax
> startkde: Starting up...
>
> After about 5 minutes of waiting, thats all I get.
>
> I've looked around to see where else I may have kde things running and
> think I've killed them all.  I've also moved my .kde directory and allowed
> for the build of a new one.  I'm currently in a gnome session but I would
> like to run KDE apps like Kile for example.
>
> Any help of where to start looking or things to do to help diagonose the
> problem would be appreciated.
>
> thanks

Barry,

I'm not sure why but apparently the fonts incorrectly installed or missing in
your X installation.  Look in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to see where the system is
looking for the fonts (path directives are under things like

Section "Files"
	FontPath	........
EndSection

Find where the server thinks they are and then verify that they are there.

Andy