Invoking ldconfig without arguments wipes all hints and makes me very sad

Shelby Cain scain at exgenesis.com
Thu Apr 10 20:44:08 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 22:14 +0200, Roland Smith wrote:

> It is unwise to use a port as a root shell. What if /usr or /usr/local is on a
> separate partition which isn't mounted in single user mode?

This is just a toy system I set up to learn about FreeBSD and zfs so I
didn't bother using multiple partitions.  Regardless, it wouldn't matter
at this point as root logins via ssh are disabled so there is still no
effective way I'm aware of the access the system remotely since I can't
log in as myself first to su/sudo.

> Do you know that there are a lot of statically linked binaries available
> in /rescue just for this eventuality? And that there are two shells
> amongst them; (t)csh and sh?

I was unaware of /rescue.  Thanks for pointing this out.

> Can you specify what exactly you mean?
> Calling ldconfig without arguments doesn't do anything to the hints
> file:
>
> So there was no change to the file.

Sorry, you are of course correct.  Experimenting with a vm, it turns out
that I had mistakenly executed ldconfig <path> without -m followed by
ldconfig -v instead of ldconfig -vr.

> Did you perchance delete the hints file, or unmounted the filesystem
> where /var is located?

Nope, I was attempting to inspect the current configuration and I just
screwed up.

Regards,

Shelby Cain