ZFS question...

Wael Nasreddine mla at nasreddine.com
Thu Apr 10 19:06:04 UTC 2008

This One Time, at Band Camp, Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com> said, On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 01:14:02PM -0500:
> You don't necessarily need ZFS for this; gmirror would work just as
> well.  You can split your 750GB drive into three
> partitions/slices/whatevers:

> 160GB - mirror this with your physical 160GB disk
> 500GB - mirror this with your physical 500GB disk
> 90GB - leftover unmirrored, use at your peril

> ZFS would let you take those two mirrored vdevs and stripe them into a
> single pool, but then again you could use gstripe or gconcat for that.
> The main benefit to ZFS would be if you regularly crash the system;
> fscking a 750gb UFS filesystem could take a while.
That's not the desired behaviour actually, what I want is to gain the
maximum space without the possibility of loosing data, I hear that ZFS
is excellent at recovering data so I'm trying to figure out the
perfect installation with these drives and of course while keeping the
data safe... RAID0 is good for not wasting space at all but then again
if one drive fails I'll lose everything :(

What do you think guys? Should I do something or it's better just to
leave them the way they are ( every drive has it's own, currently ext3,
FS ) ??

--
Wael Nasreddine
http://wael.nasreddine.com

/<o>\ These days the necessities of life cost you about three times what they
/<o>\ used to, and half the time they aren't even fit to drink.