QEMU networking quirkiness on 7.0

Andrew Cid andrew at accid.net
Thu Apr 10 09:33:03 UTC 2008

Hi Jim,

> I just C&Ped a huge section and tacked it on to the end of this mail.
> It says to do this within the emulator, but the emulator is supposedly
> running win2k. I take it this is done on the host system?

Yes, this needs to be setup on the host system.  The way a bridge is
configured has changed on 7.  Here are the steps assuming that your
external interface is em0:

# ifconfig tap0 create
# ifconfig tap0 up
# ifconfig em0 up
# ifconfig bridge0 create
# ifconfig bridge0 addm tap0 addm em0

Now tap0 and em0 are bridged together.  You should configure your
external IP on the bridge instead of em0 as you normally would.  If you
use DHCP then:

# dhclient bridge0

And start qemu:

# qemu -boot c -net nic -net tap -hda <path_to_your_disk_image>

Now the VM should be able to see your LAN and get an IP from DHCP (if
that's what you use on your LAN)

Hope this helps,

Andrew
--