Server build config, what would you do?

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Wed Apr 9 16:15:20 UTC 2008

> I'd like a C2D to allow for future growth and the fact that it will be
> serving files for several people on my home network not to mention the other
> services on it.

buying computers for future needs is nonsense - as their prices fall all
the time.

not mentioning that file serving isn't CPU intensive.

> Why do you think no special controller works best? If that was the case, why

i don't just think. i'm sure. use gmirror/gstripe/gconcat/combination of
them to get best performance. make sure to set -s 1048576 at least in
gmirror, and huge stripes (like 512MB) in gstripe.

> would they even make hardware based RAID cards, or RAID cards at all? I have

because there are people like you willing to pay for them :)