requesting 'QA' assistance

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Apr 8 19:42:11 UTC 2008

> I have something I'd like to add to ports eventually, but it isn't
> read yet. I was wondering what the preferred method of requesting
> users take a peek at it and tell me what they think/want.
>
> The actual software would go under ports-mgmt, and has the main
> functionality intended. The actuall set of programs is called 'virtual
> ports', and it allows a keyword and virtual directory indexing of the
> ports tree. The goal is to allow people to play around with different
> designs of the ports tree without having to change the system ports
> tree - preventing breakage in programs, and giving both the users and
> maintainers of the ports tree more flexibility in organization.
>
> Should I post the tbz file on my web server, and post a link on a
> mailing list, or post the copied/pasted shar to the mailing list
> (466kb, so I'm guessing /no/ to that one).
>
> Should I post here or to -ports?

My opinion would be make a .tgz of the port directory and put it on
a web/ftp server somewhere, then post a link to the ports mailing list
asking folks to look at it and provide feedback.

Yes, a 466K shar file posted to the mailing list is going to tick a lot
of people off ;)

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com