Large file system creation

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Tue Apr 8 16:56:44 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 11:20:58 am Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >> That looks like what I need.  I've got a seperate 32GB array to boot
> >>  off of, so that's perfect.  Now to just read some man pages.  Thanks!
> >
> > How many memory do you have in this machine ?? To fsck 9 TB you will
>
> there is swap too . but my 1.4TB partition can be fsck'ed on 1GB RAM
> without swap.
>
> > need a LOT of memory....
>
> depends of block sized and inode counts.
>
> it will be most likely large 32K blocks, so quick fsck and little RAM

In my experience with UFS2 and fsck you will want to have a gig of ram per TB
of filesystem.  You can get by with less sometimes, eventually you'll get
bit.  Most mere mortals don't take UFS2 past 6-8TB in production.

There are of course exceptions....

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB