Delete the Users

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Tue Apr 8 05:57:02 UTC 2008

Ruel Luchavez wrote:
> Hi..
> I could log-in as a root in the data server of my friend, he give me a task
> to delete some
> users that he added in the server few months ago.
> Unfortunately, I've tried reading in other blogs but none of them is
> correct, there are some
> but at the end its not what i want.
> I know how to add users using command "adduser' but i cant trace after I add
> user where should
> be its directory?where could i find the list of users in the server? what
> would be the command to delete
> the user?
>
> I really need your HELP..Thanks!

You can get the info on users simply by reading the /etc/passwd file. It
will show you usernames, login shells and home directories. Usually,
(although not strictly necessary) human users start from a uid of 1000
and up. Uids below 100 are mostly daemons. Deleting a user is as simple as:

rmuser username

This will also delete home directories, mail spools and so on.
There are a lot more options if you wish, provided by the pw command.
Try man pw