wireshark

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Apr 7 19:21:32 UTC 2008

"FreeBSD.Arno" <freebsd at rgbaz.eu> writes:

> Hi Lowell, thanks for your response,
>
> On 7 apr 2008, at 16:23, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> "FreeBSD.Arno" <freebsd at rgbaz.eu> writes:
>>
>>> I installed wireshark on my computer and got this error trying to run
>>> it:
>>>
>>> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libhx509.so.2: Undefined symbol
>>> "oid_id_pkcs1_rsaEncryption"
>>
>> That library doesn't even exist on my machine that has wireshark
>> installed from ports.
>>
> that's strange... what version do you run?
> i have version 0.99.8

I don't run it, I just built it long enough to check for you.

> I just did a make config, disabling everything and 'make install clean'
>
> even now:
> me at home# ldd /usr/local/bin/wireshark | grep libhx509
> 	libhx509.so.2 => /usr/local/lib/libhx509.so.2 (0x2a69b000)

I used the default configurations:
# This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
# No user-servicable parts inside!
# Options for wireshark-0.99.8_2
_OPTIONS_READ=wireshark-0.99.8_2
WITHOUT_RTP=true
WITH_SNMP=true
WITH_ADNS=true
WITH_PCRE=true
WITH_IPV6=true

>>> I've found some posts of people reporting the same problem, but none
>>> of them mention a solution.
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg10746.html
>>>
>>> Did anyone solve this problem yet?
>>>

>>> uname -a:
>>> FreeBSD <ip> 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #18: Mon Mar 31 17:48:52
>>> CEST 2008     Me at amadeus:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KERNEL_7  i386
>>
>> Figure out where that library comes from, and rebuild it and maybe its
>> dependencies?
>>

> i found there's a bug reported here for subversion, but i don;t have
> that installed
>
> i also found heimdal using this it an people reporting he same error
> i installed heimdal but the problem remained the same
>
> i'll try to figure out why wireshark needs this lib on one machine and
> not on the other...

The key clue is probably in what provides that library.  Which is
Heimdal, so that *should* provide the library.

Did you install wireshark from a package?  That may have been built
with a different set of options and/or for a different FreeBSD release.