Source upgrade from 6.3-PRERELEASE to 7-STABLE

Joshua Isom jrisom at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 23:27:47 UTC 2008

On Apr 5, 2008, at 3:57 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> Joshua Isom wrote:
>> I've looked back at a lot of the emails about upgrading a system from
>> 6 to 7, but all seem to contain some caveat or other, generally
>> ports.  I want a "clean" system, but don't want to deal with backing
>> up, reformatting, and installing, not to mention reconfiguring
>> everything.  Since by now many people have done it, what's the best
>> way to upgrade from 6.3 to 7.0 for the entire system, base and ports?
>
> Note that once you have the base OS updated, you can leave it running
> with the ports from 6.x for a while -- so long as you've still got the
> 6.x shlibs available everything will carry on working.  That means you
> either have to install the misc/compat6.x port or you have to skip the
> 'make delete-old-libs' step at the end of the buildworld procedure.
> (Well,
> postpone it until the ports can be rebuilt.)

> Don't forget the 'make delete-old-libs' step at the end.  You can
> probably
> deinstall compat6x similarly although there are some ports that will
> now
> require it -- diablo-j{dk,re}15 for example.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

I decided to go with the plan of listing all leaf ports and all
ports(install leaves first and then find out what's missing that I'd
want based on everything I had), then deleting all of them and cleaning
up some of the leftovers, and reinstalling the base and deleting the
old libraries to get a good clean 7.0 system.  Only problem is when I
started rebuilding stuff, I think libtool found f77 and some of the
other 6.3 binaries that weren't deleted and things like gettext didn't
want to install.  It seems as though either `make delete-old-libs`
needs adapted to include deleting binaries, or a separate target for
old binaries.  I'm currently building up my ports tree, and it seems to
be working well now, so all the 6.3 binaries I found and deleted didn't
seem to hurt anything, not that they could run as libc.so.6 is gone.