How to instal my NIC Card?

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Fri Apr 4 14:21:14 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 08:01:20AM -0400, Steven Friedrich wrote:

> First, you need to check that the card was detected during boot.
> as root, do "dmesg | grep em0"

As root? That is really necessary?

In my experience dmesg only works a short time after boot. A day or so
later the dmesg buffer gets cleared. The safest thing is to read
/var/run/dmesg.boot, a file stashed away for exactly this sort of future
reference.

> This will show a few lines beginning with em0: if it was detected.
> You didn't say what kernel config you are running. If you haven't
> created a custom kernel, then you're running GENERIC, which supports
> the Intel card you're trying to use.
>
> If it was NOT detected, then show us your kernel config.
> If you don't know what that is, as any user, do "uname -a" and copy
> the output here.

As root, "kldload if_em" should load and initialize the driver if its
not built into the kernel. If this works then rather than build a new
kernel one can add if_em_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf

> If it DID detect it during boot, then grep em0 /etc/rc.conf
> Hope this helps

/etc/rc.conf is where one puts the startup parameters for em0 but there
is no point trying to configure em0 until em0 is listed by ifconfig. If
sysinstall didn't see em0 then there wouldn't be anything for em0 in
rc.conf.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net