Problem starting X as user

Frank Wißmann frank.wissmann41 at web.de
Thu Apr 3 19:20:24 UTC 2008

Hi all!
Hope there's somebody out there who can help me with the following problem:
When I type "startx" as root all is coming up as expected, the X-Server
and twm as WM. When I stop it, log in as a normal user and do the same
there is only a grey screen with a mouse-cursor coming up and doing
nothing until I kill the X-Server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. On the
original screen from which I tried to start is shown the following error
message:

AUDIT: Thu Apr 3 20:34:48 2008 836 X: client 1 rejected from localhost
(uid 1001)
Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
Xlib: connection to "0:0" refused by server
Xlib: Protocol not supported by server

.xinitrc and .xsession both have the same contens "exec startxfce4" and
the permissions "rwxr-xr-x".

Any thoughts please?

TIA Frank