FreeBSD 7-RELEASE + CUPS + gutenprint + Epson Stylus CX8400

Steven Friedrich FreeBSD at insightbb.com
Wed Apr 2 18:51:48 UTC 2008

I can't get this printer to work at all.  I've been to cups.org, avasys.jp,
and http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting to no avail.

I already had cups installed and working under FreeBSD from a LONG time ago. I
used to use it with an HP DeskJet 560C.  Later, I bought a Brother monochrome
laser with BR-Script (their version of postscript). That printer was EASY to
get working, because Brother supplied a .ppd file.

I googled my tail off.

The OpenPrinting database said to use gutenprint, which I didn't have
installed, so I installed it and in cups, I removed the printer and re-added
it using the gutenprint ppd apropriate for the CX8400.

When I print a test page, it just prints garbage.

This printer is a USB printer and I added device ulpt and it shows up with
usbdevs:
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
  uhub0
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
  uhub1
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
  uhub2
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
  uhub3
 addr 2: USB Receiver, Logitech
   ums0
addr 1: EHCI root hub, Intel
  uhub4
 addr 2: USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed), EPSON
   ulpt0
   umass0

It works under WinXP Pro and I bought this printer because it was pretty cheap
and I needed one quickly.   But Epson put a lot of money into CUPS and I
can't believe this is so friggin' hard to get it to work.

I think the handbook could use some more troubleshooting info for usb
printers.  This printer, from what I read on the Internet, will support
printing us-ascii, so I tried to send an ls -l > /dev/ulpt0 device, but it
didn't even print that.

What am I missing?