HP 6720s automatic shutdown on low battery

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Wed Apr 2 11:45:49 UTC 2008

Ivailo Bonev wrote:
> I have a new HP 6720s laptop. When discharge battery, FreeBSD don't
> shutdown automatically on low battery.
> How can set that?

I've an 6710b and experienced similar "shutdowns" :)

Try this:

/etc/rc.conf:

   devd_enable="YES"

/etc/devd.conf:

   notify 10 {
         match "system"         "ACPI";
         match "subsystem"      "CMBAT";
         match "notify"         "0x80";
         action "/etc/acpi_battery 30 5";
   };

/etc/acpi_battery:

   #!/bin/sh

   warn_level=$1
   shutdown_level=$2

   life=`sysctl -n hw.acpi.battery.life`

   if [ "$life" -lt $shutdown_level ]; then
     echo "shutdown"
     /sbin/shutdown -h now
   elif [ "$life" -lt $warn_level ]; then
     echo "warn"
   fi

There might be an easier way, if there is a different notify command for
battery low. I guess 0x80 is just battery info.

Regards,

   Michael