php failing to produce phpinfo()

bob bob at remotes008.com
Sun Sep 30 14:23:51 PDT 2007

My business has been using PHP for years.  Mysql outputs to my browser,
where I can print invoices, bills and any business statitic.

Suddenly, my browser started acting funny.  I don't know how to use the
repair disk to fix a problem, so I reinstalled FreeBSD-6.1.  It still
works the same except I can't get phpinfo() to display in the browser.
I can do php -i, which displays several pages of PHP code.  That means
PHP is working.  I don't use CGI or PHP scripts.  If phpinfo() doesn't
show up in my browser, I can't do anything.

The following is in /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf:

 LoadModule php5_module
 AddModule mod_php5.c
 DirectoryIndex index.php index.html
 DirectoryIndex index.html
 AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

The httpd.error.log doesn't show any problems.  Thre are 35 modules in
/usr/local/libexec/apache including libphp5.so and httpd.exp.  Php.ini
is installed at /usr/local/lib

This time I installed mysql-5.1, apache-1.3 and PHP-5.1.  I used
"pkg_add -r" to install apache and mysql.  Apache and mysql work
excellent.  I installed PHP from www.php.net. Both PHP4 and PHP5 would
fail to load the phpinfo() file. I installed PHP-5.1 from the ports
directory.  Same problem.   I ordered FreeBSD-6.1, before it was
available.  The FreeBSD Mall had it, but wasn't promoting it yet.

About 2 years ago when I first installed FreeBSD-6.1, I installed
mysql-4.0, PHP-4 and apache-1.3 on FreeBSD-6.1.  I used "pkg_add -r" to
install apache and mysql and I downloaded PHP-4 from www.php.net.
Everything worked, including PHP.  Two years ago, www.php.net was
supplying any version of PHP including older versions of PHP-4.  I
installed  older versions because they worked.
Now www.php.net only supplies the latest version.

thanks for any help,
bob