using the date command

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Sun Sep 30 00:48:57 PDT 2007

Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> To set time:
>
> $ sudo /usr/sbin/ntpdate pool.ntp.org
> 29 Sep 23:48:31 ntpdate[9404]: adjust time server 66.250.45.2 offset
> 0.001289 sec

ntpdate is deprecated, you should use "ntpd -q" instead if you want ntpd
to set the time once then exit.  From ntpdate(8):

Note: The functionality of this program is now available in the ntpd(8)
     program.  See the -q command line option in the ntpd(8) page.  After a
     suitable period of mourning, the ntpdate utility is to be retired from
     this distribution.

Also, ntpd wil refuse to update the time if the delta is more than 1000s
by default, but you can use the -g option to override this.   To set the
date to within a reasonable delta, use something like "date
200709282027".  If you want to set the time more accurately using NTP,
edit /etc/ntp.conf and add "server pool.ntp.org" to it.  Save it then
run "ntpd -q".  If you need to configure the time zone, an easy way to
do this is to run sysinstall and select "Configuration --> Time Zone".