Bridging interfaces

Christopher Cowart ccowart at rescomp.berkeley.edu
Sat Sep 29 19:19:43 PDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 07:06:55PM -0600, Simon Timms wrote:
> Hello,
> I seem to be having some trouble bridging interfaces in FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE.
> What I have are two interfaces
>
> rl0 - 192.168.2.2
> sis0 - 192.168.1.2
>
> and a bridge I've set up following the pages in the handbook.  However
> frames don't seem to be routed from one interface to the other.  The
> internet gateway for the networks lives on 192.168.1.1 and I am able to
> reach the internet from boxes on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet but not from the
> other.  Tracing the route from a box on the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet the
> connection times out on the freebsd box, orinoco.

A layer 2 bridge connects two physical network segments to create the
illusion of a single layer 2 network. In general, you have a single IP
subnet sitting on top of a layer 2 network. Think of a bridge as a
2-port ethernet switch.

If you want a single layer 2 network, try readdressing the
192.168.2/24 side to be on the 192.168.1/24 subnet.

If you need different subnets, you'll want to configure *routing* and
not bridging (See: handbook/network-routing.html).

Good luck,

--
Chris Cowart
Lead Systems Administrator