DHCP and DNS

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Fri Sep 28 16:24:31 PDT 2007

At 01:48 PM 9/28/2007, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
>I had a wired network with a FreeBSD gateway/firewall.  The gateway
>died and I converted to a mixed network with a Belkin N1 wireless
>router.
>
>I have 2 windows machines and 3 FreeBSD 6.2-stable machines.
>
>fix etc/rc.conf and reboot.
>
>dhclient is running.  I have leases and can access the web.
>
>All machines can ping the outside world by name and any other machine
>by IP.
>
>The windows machines can ping any other maching by name.
>
>The FreeBSD machines can not ping any local machine by name.
>
>What accesses the router to get DHCP info?
>
># cat /etc/hosts | sed '/^#/d'
>::1                     localhost localhost.my.domain
>127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.my.domain

You need to add the hostname dv6000 entry to hosts, or create your own zone
files and run bind.  As these are private IP's you need either to update
hosts or run DNS.  You may find it easier to give servers static private
IP's that way you are assured your hosts entries or DNS entries are correct.

believed to be clean.