DHCP and DNS

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Sep 28 13:35:30 PDT 2007

On Sep 28, 2007, at 1:19 PM, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> I have a Belkin N1 wireless router with a mix of wireless and wired
> machines.  2 wired FreeBSD machines, 1 wired Windows machine, 1
> wireless FreeBSD machine, -current wpi driver in the works, and a
> wireless windows machine.
>
> The wired FreeBSD machines get leases with dhclient.  Looking at the
> router with seamonkey, I can see the leases for all the machines.
>
> Do I have to manually create/maintain /etc/hosts on each FreeBSD
> machine to use names to access the other machines on the local
> network?
>
> Is there a tool to extract lease information from the router?

You could write something with curl or wget easily enough, but for
that kind of situation, you're better off setting up a dhcpd on one
of the machines and allocating fixed IPs to the MAC addresses of the
boxes you care about.  From there, you can either set up a static
hosts file which matches the DHCP assignments, or set up local DNS.

--
-Chuck