FreeBSD Tomcat

John Nielsen john at jnielsen.net
Fri Sep 28 09:08:52 PDT 2007

Quoting "Ivan \"Rambius\" Ivanov" <rambiusparkisanius at gmail.com>:
> On 9/28/07, Yance Kowara <yance_kowara at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Would you mind explaining the difference between
>> sun-jdk and diablo jdk?
>>
>> From the point of view of the end user or even the Java programmer
> there is no differences - both jdk's offer the same public APIs,
> compilers, runtime environments, etc. The differences are in the
> internal implementaions.
>
> Sun JDK is developed by Sun Microsystem. They officially offer binary
> downloads for Windows, Solaris and Linux, as well the source code (for
> their JDK). A FreeBSD port for Sun JDK does exists, but it is not made
> by Sun. Take a look at that page: http://www.freebsd.org/java/
>
> Diablo JDK (I think) is another implementation of JDK - see
> http://freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml.

This is not correct. The Java packages available from the FreeBSD
Foundation are based on the same codebase as any other 1.5 JDK or JRE
from Sun. The difference is that they are available as certified binary
packages. See the original announcement for all the details:

http://freebsdfoundation.org/press/20060405-PRrelease.shtml

then consider donating to the Foundation to support ongoing and future
porting and certification work for Java on FreeBSD.

JN