Getting vim to work correctly.

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at teledomenet.gr
Fri Sep 28 03:48:41 PDT 2007

On Friday 28 September 2007 11:56, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2007-09-27 23:05, Jay Chandler <lists at sequestered.net> wrote:
> > Eric Schuele wrote:

> >> They work perfectly fine here.  How is it you expect those keys to
> >> behave?  Define "working correctly".
> >
> > When in insert mode, and pagedown is pressed, the letter the cursor is
> > over is capitalized, and the editor is removed from insert mode, as an
> > example.
> >
> > PageUp capitalizes the letter next to it, and again removes me from
> > insert mode.
> >
> > Home randomly capitalizes letters and shifts the cursor to the next
> > letter.
> >
> > Insert decapitalizes the letter the cursor is over.
> >
> > Weird behavior like this...

Nothing weird, same here with every terminal I have installed(xterm,
Eterm & konsole). You should instal Vim if you want the old behaviour.

> > I was mistaken in that this is in vim-- this is in the natural version
> > of vi that ships with the base OS.
> >
> > This is happening from PuTTY in default setting mode on a Windows
> > box-- my MacBook is relatively better behaved.
>
> This is usually a configuration error related to the $TERM setup of the
> client, so what's your terminal set to in the PuTTY setup of Windows?

Keep in mind that nvi is a different program. Why don't you
install Vim?

Actually, the only consistent behaviour is, that vi clones have
inconsistencies among them :)