Any advice for a Partition Plan for a multi-jailed Server?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Sep 26 14:37:39 PDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 02:02:09PM -0700, Aliya Harbouri wrote:

> > >         drive 2:
> > >                 /       2GB
> > A bit big, but fine
>
> I though so, but with drives this big & cheap ... :-)
>
> > >                 /boot   2GB
> > Nope, FreeBSD doesn't need / want a /boot
>
> I didn't realize :-/
>
> Just to be sure, you DO mean it doesn't want a separate
> slice/partition, right?  Because, I'm looking at a "/boot" directory

Yes, you should not put /boot in a separate filesystem.
It should be in root.

You have a lot for stuff like /usr, but really, how much you need
in any file system depends on how you will use it.   Try it and
gain some experience with the setup and go from there.   You can
change it the next time you do a major upgrade.

////jerry