Any advice for a Partition Plan for a multi-jailed Server?

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Wed Sep 26 13:58:55 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 26 September 2007 15:33:12 Federico Lorenzi wrote:
> On 9/26/07, Aliya Harbouri <aliyaharbouri at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm setting up a jailed server. I'm hoping to eventually use
> > sysutils/ezjail to deaden the pain a bit!
>
> I gave that a shot once, but I found manual jail configuration to be
> better.
>
> > First step, have to get the disks partitioned! They're unpacked, at least
> > ;-)
> >
> > I've read lots of comments like,
> >
> >   "You should never setup your FreeBSD systems the way Linux or other
> > *nix's set them up."
>
> You shouldn't ^-^
>
> > So, I'm looking for some Wisdom on how best to partition for the usage
> > I'm planning.
> >
> > The server's goal state is 4 jails, plus the non-jailed host:
> >
> > jail-1: DNS services {Bind9 & RBLDNSD}
> > jail-2: WebServer    {Apache 22x + PHP5 + Perl 588 + MySQL 50x}
> > jail-3: mail server  {Exim 468 + Spamassassin + ClamAV, etc.}
> > jail-4: an analysis/monitoring toolkit {Snort, Nagios, Nessus, etc.}
> >
> > I've got two identical 250 GB SATA2 drives available for this box.
> >
> > Although I have not yet grokked the whole "What's in a jail's dirs?"
> > issue, my initial stab at 'slices' is ~:
> >
> >         drive 2:
> >                 /       2GB
>
> A bit big, but fine
>
> >                 /boot   2GB
>
> Nope, FreeBSD doesn't need / want a /boot
>
> >                 /tmp    2GB
>
> Fine
>
> >                 /swap   16GB    Machine has 8GB RAM, so swap = 2X RAM
>
> A bit of overkill, but what the hell, you have the space
>
> >                 /usr    50GB
>
> What exactly do you plan on running on the host?
>
> >                 /jails  178GB
>
> Fine...
>
> >         drive 2:
> >                 /var    100GB
>
> Huh? Refer to /usr above.
>
> >                 /data   100GB   MailStore, DBs, www source files, etc.
>
> Fine again...
>
> >                 /home   20GB
>
> Fine again..
>
> > I'll betcha some of that's silly or wasteful.
>
> You'd be correct there :)
>
> I'm sure you could fit everything on one disk... Jails are really small,
> it's just your data that takes up space. If you could get everything in
> 250GB (which i think you could easily) RAID 1 might be a nice thing to have
>
> HTH
>
> Federico

youll do just as fine to hit 'A-S-Q" during the partitioning portion, and
taking the defaults.  FreeBSD installer will take the best options, and put
all the remaining space as /usr.

i just put my jails under /usr/jails.

keep the host as simple as possible, as building multiple jails will just
multiply your complexity quickly enough.

i would also agree with Frederico... do a RAID1 with your (2) 250GB drives.

cheers,

--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org