Any advice for a Partition Plan for a multi-jailed Server?

Federico Lorenzi florenzi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 13:33:15 PDT 2007

On 9/26/07, Aliya Harbouri <aliyaharbouri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm setting up a jailed server. I'm hoping to eventually use
> sysutils/ezjail to deaden the pain a bit!
I gave that a shot once, but I found manual jail configuration to be better.

> First step, have to get the disks partitioned! They're unpacked, at least ;-)
>
> I've read lots of comments like,
>
>   "You should never setup your FreeBSD systems the way Linux or other
> *nix's set them up."
You shouldn't ^-^

> So, I'm looking for some Wisdom on how best to partition for the usage
> I'm planning.
>
> The server's goal state is 4 jails, plus the non-jailed host:
>
> jail-1: DNS services {Bind9 & RBLDNSD}
> jail-2: WebServer    {Apache 22x + PHP5 + Perl 588 + MySQL 50x}
> jail-3: mail server  {Exim 468 + Spamassassin + ClamAV, etc.}
> jail-4: an analysis/monitoring toolkit {Snort, Nagios, Nessus, etc.}
>
> I've got two identical 250 GB SATA2 drives available for this box.
>
> Although I have not yet grokked the whole "What's in a jail's dirs?"
> issue, my initial stab at 'slices' is ~:
>
>         drive 2:
>                 /       2GB
A bit big, but fine
>                 /boot   2GB
Nope, FreeBSD doesn't need / want a /boot
>                 /tmp    2GB
Fine
>                 /swap   16GB    Machine has 8GB RAM, so swap = 2X RAM
A bit of overkill, but what the hell, you have the space
>                 /usr    50GB
What exactly do you plan on running on the host?
>                 /jails  178GB
Fine...

>         drive 2:
>                 /var    100GB
Huh? Refer to /usr above.
>                 /data   100GB   MailStore, DBs, www source files, etc.
Fine again...
>                 /home   20GB
Fine again..

> I'll betcha some of that's silly or wasteful.
You'd be correct there :)

I'm sure you could fit everything on one disk... Jails are really small, it's
just your data that takes up space. If you could get everything in 250GB
(which i think you could easily) RAID 1 might be a nice thing to have

HTH

Federico