pf redirect question

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Tue Sep 25 07:47:42 PDT 2007

i have a server at my office i need to decomission, only problem, there are a
handful of client that are still talking to it.

i was wondering if it feasable to down the server, take its IP and stick it on
our FreeBSD server, and then use pf with rdr statements to redirect any
traffic from stragglers to the service on the other new server?

i was trying to to proof it with a line like this in my pf.conf on my laptop:

rdr on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $ext_if port 80 -> 10.22.192.131 port
8080

just to see if i could get an http request to my laptop to redirect over to
the 8080 on the other ip, but so far nothing.

a) is what im trying to do... tcpifically possible?
b) if yes, can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks,
--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org