collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Sep 24 09:14:19 PDT 2007

> Hi,
>
> I have a new 6.2 install running postfix, amavisd-new, clamav and SpamAssassin
> and over the weekend the server stopped responding with the following error.
> collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC.  I did some google
> searching on the error and found the same problem with Apache, but none with my
> configuration. Most of the sites say to increase the PMAP_SHPGPERPROC, but none
> say how or what to increase it to.

I've never seen a modern version of FreeBSD lock up as a result of this,
so that's a little odd.

> Does anyone have a suggestion on how I should go about troubleshooting this or
> what I should change my PMAP_SHPGPERPROC to? Could this be a one time fluke and I
> shouldn’t worry about it?

I had to research this earlier this year.  The default is 200, so in my
case, raising the value to 250 solved the problem.  I fixed it by adding
the setting to my kernel config and building a new kernel.  I believe
you can also set it in loader.conf

I haven't tried setting it higher than 250 (haven't had the need) but
I've seen some posts suggesting that setting it too high can cause
kernel panics.  I recommend bumping it to 250, then go to 300 if the
problem doesn't go away -- but in any event, don't increase it
drastically.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com