migrate from postfix to qmail

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 09:02:26 PDT 2007

On 9/21/07, Lotfi kecir <kecirlotfi at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello. i'm newbbie in Unix especially in in FreeBSD. Recently i have setup
> one mail server with postfix-dovecot and i would like to migrate it to Qmail
> server. but i didn't know how to do it. Someone can give help me?
> Thanks.

The short answer should be that you just install the mail/qmail port.
The details of how to move the mailboxes to the new server depend on
what mailbox format you are using now.  If they are Maildir format,
Qmail will be able to use them with no changes. If they are not
Maildir format, you will need to post that information.

But please do not use Qmail -- it pollutes everyone else's mailbox
with blowback spam. If someone has convinced you that you want to use
Qmail, I strongly recommend that you consider Courier instead. It was
designed to be a drop-in replacement for Qmail, but does not have most
of the problems that Qmail has. The configuration files are very
similar to Qmail, so Qmail training should transfer to Courier pretty
readily.

If you are putting this on the same server you now use for
postfix/dovecot, you will probably need to edit /etc/rc.conf to
disable your old mail program and enable the new one. E.g. if there is
a 'postfix_enable="YES"' statement, you may need to replace it with
something like 'courier_enable="YES"'.

- Bob