Why is sendmail in the core of FreeBSD?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Sep 24 06:57:55 PDT 2007

On 2007-09-24 15:10, Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass at teledomenet.gr> wrote:
>On Saturday 22 September 2007 23:41, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>>>
>>> That is why I use Postfix.  I would not go from Postfix to Sendmail
>>> because it would make life difficult.
>>
>> Heh, what I wrote was supposed to be a joke, but oh well :-)
>
> You haven't been forced to administer sendmail. That's why you are
> making jokes about it. Well, I was, and it wasn't much fun ;)

That's a false assumption to make, but I can understand why it feels
like a natural response.

FWIW, before starting to work as a programmer at my current employer,
I spent a fair amount of my time administering Sendmail and qmail
installations for several places.  I am still using Sendmail almost
exclusively on my home network, at work, and I am regularly helping
people overcome their Sendmail problems on various mailing lists/groups.

I'm sorry your experience with some Sendmail installations was as
painful as it seems to have been but I can't help that.

- Giorgos