Is your Thunderbird OK?

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Mon Sep 24 04:40:50 PDT 2007

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:19:49 +0900
Byung-Hee HWANG <bh at izb.knu.ac.kr> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Just been wondering about this for long weeks. I have some complain
> Thudnerbird's the speed when it start up on FreeBSD. Its speed is very
> slow. While thunderbird start up, I go to brew coffee. Aside from
> that, Thunderbird is the best MUA, indeed.

Thunderbird runs just fine here, but I've switched to
claws-mail a while ago because I'm running on very slow
hardware (500 MHz VIA C3/Eden), where Thunderbird really
crawls at a snail's pace (Firefox too, of course). Yet
even then, it doesn't take proportionally very long to
start up.

Thunderbird (and Firefox) are just big resource hogs, that's
all. If you experience VERY long start up times, you have
another problem. I once had startup issues on a diskless setup,
and it turned out to be a weird problem involving gconf2,
threading and lockd. It went away after I disabled NFS again
and used real disk storage.

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/