Cheaper backup mechnism for a server

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Fri Sep 21 09:02:17 PDT 2007

> Hi ;
>
> A general question pls excuse me
>
> can any body suggest a backup mechanism for a server machine , which has a
> web portal , email server ,PgSQL database 4GB size , DNS server, Mailman ,
> and a mediawiki applications running in a single machine .

Sounds like a fairly small server.  Should be no problem backing it up.

> Can you suggest good solutions , for the server Backup mechanism    so that
> I can restore all the data just before the crashing moment .

Well, if you want just before the crash, you need some kind of
mirroring or raid that makes a recoverable copy or stripe of your
data.   Backups will only restore from the point of the backup.

I would suggest mirroring combined with frequent backups - daily.

As for the medium, it depends on how much backup you need.  Do you
need long term archive copies - then use tape.   If you only need
to restore a recent backup after some catastrophic failure, then
probably backing up to a large USB disk would be fine.

Use dump/restore to do the backups.
Organize your file systems so that stuff that never or rarely
changes does not go in to your daily backup and by size so that
if possible, one file system can fit on a single recording media -
eg tape or disk or whatever.   It is possible to have continuation
media, but it is nice if you don't have to.

////jerry