Cheaper backup mechnism for a server

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Fri Sep 21 04:30:09 PDT 2007

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 13:14:25 +0200 (CEST)
Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> > You can try to create a Mirror using RAID. You can either create a
> > software or a hardware (recommended) managed Mirror. In case of a disk
>
> both are software. while the "software" one you talking about is gmirror -
> very portable and easy to use contrary to BIOS-based "hardware" one.
>
> and with gmirror is very easy to take whole disk snapshot

raid is a good solution for avoiding data loss due to hard disk failure (at
different rates depending on the raid type ). But it wont help you if someone
accidentally or on purpose delete files. Raid will happily replicate the
deletion across all your disks :)

Raid , fail-over solutions  and the like  go hand in hand with backups, each
case needing it's own analysis : server/s setup, data, frequency of change of
the data, how fast do you want to recover it , budget will (well, should :D )
all affect your final decision.

Whatever path you go down by, make sure you test the "getting the data back and
the server back online" step ;) it's too late by then to realise you should've
backed up /etc and /var/ , for example.

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends."
  Oscar Wilde

Warned.