End-of-life for my amd64 ?

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Thu Sep 20 17:18:02 PDT 2007

NetOpsCenter wrote:

> I have been using FreeBSD 7.0  since Jan  8 2007  CURRENT on this box
> which is a desktop for browsing and email  with a Dual core AMD CPU setup.
> It rocks.
>
> I use FreeBSD 7.0 Current on 2 small mailservers using 3 year old
> hardware and it is rock solid. I believe the FreeBSD team has really got
> their act together on this one.

Are you using any of the new features in 7.x? SCHED_ULE, ZFS? Because my
only 7.x production server that does crashes daily (luckily it's not a
critical machine) and non-server machines are not far behind. If you're
not using the "new" features, you could just as well run 6.x :)

I'm actively trying to solve some of these problems, but from my
experience (I do a lot of things that may be considered "experimental",
but mostly userland-side, I run "vanilla" kernels) 7 simply isn't stable
yet. It might be in 7.0, but it's not yet.